So I made something off my dessert list- Martha Stewart’s recipe for Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars. I’ve made sure to convert ingredient amounts for SA (metric volume and Celsius) in parentheses.
|Sorry- no picture staging here!|
- 1 cup (2 USA sticks or 225grams) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus some to grease the pan
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (white bread flour) , plus some to coat the pan
- 1 1/2 cups (337 grams) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 (562 grams) cups smooth peanut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (337 grams) jam, you favorite flavour (I used raspberry).
- 2/3 cup (150 grams) salted peanuts, roughly chopped
|Just to remind you of how small my kitchen is....|
|Butter and Sugar|
2. Place butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. On medium speed, add eggs and peanut butter; beat until combined, about 2 minutes.
|Eggs and Peanut Butter|
3. Whisk together salt, baking powder, and flour. Add to bowl of mixer on low speed; combine. Add vanilla and mix until blended. Make sure to scrape bowl and mix again.
|This is what the mixture will look like.|
4. Transfer approximately 2/3 of the mixture to the pan (eyeball it); spread evenly with a spatula (used one for frosting), spread jam on top of peanut-butter mixture. Dollop last 1/3 of peanut-butter mixture on top of jam. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
|First layer down|
|Dollops on top.|
|With chopped peanuts sprinkled on top.|
5. Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool; cut into however many pieces you want! They’re rich, so a piece the size of your palm is more than enough.
They were so good....I forgot to take a picture of a nicely cut piece! One thing I’d change- add more jam! I might put ½ to 1 cup more next time. And there will be a next time!
P.S.- Thank you Martha Stewart!
Song of the Day: I Wanna Dance With Somebody as sung by Afro Blue. My friend is on the NBC Show The Sing Off and their group is doing great!!