Sunday, October 2, 2011

Herb Garden.


Today, we went to our local garden center and bought everything we needed for a small portable herb garden for our household.

You can find their web site here.
  
Since we have been trying to save money by eating at home more and not going out to restaurants, we have become more interested in fresh herbs. 


Some of the herbs to choose from.

Nicely organized.

I love succulents!

The center was well stocked with seeds, hoses, mulch and even had a little doggie section. Pets are welcome here. 

A butterfly on a daisy.

There was a great variety of plants, including indigenous ones, seedlings, succulents, and fynbos

The fynbos are so beautiful!




There were many options for containers- concrete, plastic, and glazed pottery.





There was even a café and an ice cream shop called “Sinnfull.”


The cafe's beautiful backyard!

We bought sweet basil, coriander (cilantro), greek oregano, mint, fennel, thyme, parsley, rosemary. Specifically for me, we bought my favorite scullent (Crassulla Gollum) and two French gray lavender plants. Here is a great website about the different types of lavender in the world.

 
Our cart full of our choices.
 
The containers we chose were “Stack-a-pots” because we want them to be portable and small. IF we move to a place without a yard, we’d still like to have our herb garden and not have it take up a lot of space.


The final product. I'm hoping the begonia will flower soon.

Close up of the pot and herbs.

Crassula Gollum succulent.



Song of the Day: I’m Real by Jennifer Lopez featuring JaRule. NPR was playing this song on a “This American Life” podcast we just listened to off the internet.


13 comments:

Gina said...

I adore succulents :)
I love those pots too, going to see if I can find them here in Jozi, Im dying to start a herb garden or a salad garden and I dont have any space for it (our entire back yard is bricked over and the front yard is south facing...)

Gina said...

:( i see the nursery i sonly in CT, think I will order pots direct from the supplier though :)

Maša said...

love the idea of a portable garden. :)

Sami said...

I like the stacking pots for the herbs, very original. I have lots of succulents, they are my favourite plants and they don´t need much care or water either which is just perfect.

Vanisha @ Vanisha's Life In...Australia said...

We've been back about three weeks now and this is something I really want to do. I'm going to get my act together soon, thanks for the motivation!

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

I love all the pretty succulents! So pretty!

Adrianne Surian said...

What's the opposite of a green thumb? That's what I have. :P I would love to actually grow something!!

Returning the follow from Happy Hour Projects!

Adrianne
www.happyhourprojects.com

twinswithtots said...

Found you through totally tuesday. newest gfc follower
Hope u will check us out too at http://twinswithtots.blogspot.com/
Be well
Cathy

All Ears said...

Hi, I am intrigued by your blog because it is different. I just followed you through the Tuesday blog hop.
I love this post about the garden center! Really neat. Great pictures too!
Have a great day!
Mary Ellen
http://rabbitslippers.blogspot.com/
http://lovegoesonbereavementsupportblog.blogspot.com/

TanyasTreasureTrove said...

Hi! Following you from a blog hop!:0)
Hope you visit me and return the follow!

Btw if you like please join the Treasure Trove Tribune! I think you will enjoy it!:0)

Anonymous said...

hey...great plants and a much better diet I think it is great Da

Becky said...

What a great idea--it's a really inspiring decision to commit to cooking at home. We are so guilty of going out to eat WAY TOO MUCH. Maybe having all those beautiful herbs on hand would inspire us to cook more.

Thanks for the beautiful photos and idea and for sharing them at Rub Some Dirt On It!

Jenn Erickson said...

What a lovely garden store!

I love the way you used the stack-a-pots to create a perfect little herb garden.

Thank you so much for being a part of "A Little Birdie Told Me..." at Rook No. 17!

Jenn