Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Seashell Garland Using Crocheted Garden Twine.

For those in the USA, summer is ending, however for us in SA, spring has just begun!

After our trip to Camps Bay Beach (pictures here), I had collected a bag full of sea shells. I was particularly attracted to the spiral shells, however most were broken. When I got home, I started dreaming about what I could do with them (instead of leave them in a plastic bag as I have done with every other seashell collection I’ve collected). I decided to make a garland with the seashells and chose crochet to make a stronger base for the garland. I kept putting off the project until today!  

A peek inside my bag of seashells.


Washed and ready to sort.
Preparation:
Clean the shells- I just rinsed them off and dried then since they were “dead” shells. Here is a guide on how to wash all kinds of shells. I let them dry in the sun, you could also paper towel dry them. I ended up having 29 suitable shells. I sorted them into “larger/prettier” and “average”. I had 20 “average”, 9 “larger/prettier” ones. I am not sure what type of shells these are,  if you know, please share!


  

 
29 seashells.

Materials:
Seashells with holes in them

Garden Twine

Crochet hook of your choice, I used size K/6.50mm

Scissors





Procedure: 
To begin, I left a 12 inch tail (to attach it to things), tied a knot and then crocheted ten stitches (watch the tension because the garden twine is rather bulky and scratchy). 

Hook and beginning stitches.

I put the shell in between the hook and the working twine.

Hook through the shell.

Then I put the hook through the shell and then pulled the twine through.

Hook and pull the twine through the shell.

Now you have a loop on your hook and the working twine is still in back. Go up and over the next side of the shell and hook the twine and loop is through.

Make another loop around the shell.

Now you are back to a normal crochet strand. I chose to crochet four stitches and then add my next shell. You are welcome to add more stitches in between if you have fewer shells.

Four stitches between shells.
Completed garland!


I used 10 of my “average” shells. Then added my nine “larger/prettier”, and finished with my last 10 “average” shells.

After adding the last shell, I crocheted 10 stitches, knotted the end, and left a 12 inch tail.


Hanging garland.













If you have any questions just post a comment or e-mail me!


I'll be linking up to several blog linkys and hops. Check them out here, and here.
My hubby's blog is here.


Enjoy!




Song of the Post: Beyond the Sea as sung by Bobby Darrin.


30 comments:

Little City Farm said...

Nice idea. I would not have thought to do this, but once you start thinking about it, there a bunch of things you could do this with (as long as they have holes I guess). :)

Toqua's Crafts said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I hope you took time to look around. I used seashells on my Lighthouse ornament http://toquascrafts.blogspot.com/2011/02/beaded-ornaments.html

If you're interested in How to make your own Icon buttons http://toquascrafts.blogspot.com/2011/02/beaded-ornaments.html You may also be interested in How to make your own Favicon http://toquascrafts.blogspot.com/2011/08/do-you-favicon.html That's the little picture that shows up on the tab of IE or Firefox and when you save a page as a favorite that icon shows up as well.

I look forward to looking at your blog more closely!

Have a blessed day!

Havalah Turner | Sisters, What! said...

i love it. A nice way to bring the sea inside the home

creativejewishmom/sara said...

lovely project! I'd love to follow your life and crafts in South Africa, and hope you'll join me on Craft Schooling Sunday, just add your link and photo to the list, with a new list opening every Saturday night (for me in Israel) and open until about Wednesday. all the best!

Mary said...

I love it! I'm going to feature your post on my top ten this week at Boogieboard Cottage. Have a nice week, Mary :O)

Unknown said...

Those are so different and neat looking. If only I knew how to crochet! Thanks for the follow-following you now too. ;)

Sami said...

Interesting way to use up pretty shells, what a pity I can´t find shells on Perth beaches. You could even do a necklace to use in summer.

ElisabethAndrée said...

It is amazing that you can make this! I have never seen it before. Nice tutorial, it is kind of you to share.

Reese is a adorable little doggie:)

Have a great day!

Vanisha @ Vanisha's Life in...Fiji said...

What a great idea! I'll have to try this, I think you'd love the sea shells on Fiji beaches :) They'd be perfect for this project!

MrsJenB said...

What a neat idea! I can't tell you how long it's been since I crocheted - years I guess. It's cool to see someone take that technique and apply it somewhere else. :)

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Love your shell garland! Thanks for signing up to follow me. I am signing up to follow you too! Loved Bobby Darrin and this song.

Maša said...

i love this! thank you for sharing. :) your blog is interesting.

Richelle Nicole said...

Fantastic idea, thanks for sharing!! I have lots of sea shells that my twins have collected that I could use to do this! I wonder if I could carefully drill through the shells without holes...power tools here I come!

Maya Kuzman said...

Oh this is such a lovely project!
Having a bag of shells waiting to be "processed" - this comes as a wonderful inspiration!
Thank you for dropping by at my place!
You are on my blog roll list.

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

That is so pretty and could be used for the summer or even Christmas!

I am a new follower from the I Love Blogging Hop. If you have a chance, come see me at
http://messforless.blogspot.com
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Cute garland! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I would love it if you joined my link party. It runs every Monday-Friday. :)

- Megan
www.polishthestars.com

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

You are so creative! I’d love for you to link your adorable project to Things I’ve Made Thursdays. I’m trying something new this week- We have two sections to the party- one for kids’ things and one for “Anything”!! I think this post would be an awesome addition to the “Anything Goes” party!

Hope you’ll stop by on Thursday and link up!
Melanie
http://bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com/2011/09/things-ive-done-thursday-new.html

Kim said...

I bought myself a garland like this a couple of years ago and have it hanging across a window. Now I know how to add to it--great post!!

Peggy said...

Oh my goodness! I love it! I wish I could make that. You have way better shells then we can get here.

parentwin said...

My husband grew up in South Africa and covered Cape Town as a journalist for a while. I love your blog, your musical selections and your photos. I'm glad I clicked your link from the blog hop.

I hope you have time to come over to Tales of an Unlikely Mother, too.

http://parentwin.blogspot.com

Marie said...

How Pretty! I have been wondering what to do with the seashells that were given to my daughter. This would be the perfect project.

Fifi said...

Thank you for sharing this! It looks beautiful! I always wonder what to do with my seashells, besides just having them collect dust in a jar! Lol!

Newest follower from the hop! Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

urbanmingo said...

This is lovely and I really like the crochet string. It looks so pretty! Great idea!

Jamie said...

Very cute; great idea!

Please feel free to link up your seashell garland to my Make Yourself Monday Blog Hop! I'd love to have you!! :o)

Jamie
For Love of Cupcakes

Jenn Erickson said...

Absolutely beautifully done! What a wonderful use for those pretty shell pieces!

I love the song you chose to go with this post too! It's one of my all-time favorites!

Thank you for linking up to "A Little Birdie Told Me..."!

Jenn

P.S. I'm spotlighting your post on my Facebook page today!

Becky @ Rub Some Dirt On It said...

Wow you are so talented!! Great tutorial--really clear and easy to understand. I wish I had your talent, but the more I meet people who crochet online, the more I am tempted to try. If I had such a beautiful bag of seashells, I would definitely be motivated to learn!

Thanks for sharing this with us at Rub Some Dirt On It!

Jaime Lyn at Crafty Scrappy Happy said...

I adore all things beach-y inspired and so I for sure am a fan of this! Thank you SO much for linking up and sharing this over at crafty scrappy happy!
Jaime :o)

Anonymous said...

it is cute! Thanks for sharing the link - I love making things with seashells too and love your idea. bringing pretty seashells into the main view of life is such a treasure! thank you for dropping by and leaving such a thoughtful comment - I so appreciate it :) diane at home sweet homemade

Make handmade said...

Great ideas for summer! Beach jewelry is the same way. thanks for sharing!

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Lovely project! Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog and your encouragement. Following along now!

Melanie
Sew Rugged @ bear rabbit bear
bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com