Sunday, July 24, 2011

Camps Bay Beach and Loneliness.

I’ve been missing my people! 


I have a long history of not keeping up with friends over summer vacation, moving across the country, or moving across the world. Not many people have kept up with me either, so I’m not sure if I’m just friends with people who have the same communication style, or whether its “out of sight, out of mind.”

Homeless woman with holes in her socks.

I try not to be lonely here, but it is hard. 



Really hard sometimes. This is what I didn’t expect about my move...



I sent out e-mails to people last week, and only one person responded (thanks auntie!). 

Many sea shells!

Trash on the beach; green vuvuzela.



















Part of the reason that I haven’t e-mailed people much is that I use this blog as a medium of communication. Early on, my friends and family commented, but most have stopped commenting now.


My hubby, playing.





I have a widget that tells me which cities across the world have looked at my blog, and I can tell that not many of my friends or family has checked it out very often. 






I can’t help it, I feel forgotten. 


 
Family playing.
Foot print. Toe print?

 
  

But at the same time, I KNOW that it is up to ME to keep up with people through e-mail, facebook, or telephone. 

Me, playing.
  Enough that they want to share with me too, of their own accord.


There was a kid/young adult surfing competition going on that day.


We have not gotten any mail from the USA (except from Chase Bank, animal control, and junk mail)- no letters or care packages.


New friends.
 
 I do have a local AZ number through Skype, so it’s not that hard to call (and if you ask, I’ll give it to you)! 


Kong.
 
I hate thinking like this; feeling "whiny"; and I hate making people feel guilty…but this is my reality and I need to communicate it. 

 
Throw the ball!

PLEASE help me.
Please help me feel connected and not so alone. Even just one e-mail or call a month to keep me going and feed my soul.



So this is my promise: I will be contacting all my friends and family in the next week. I hope that I will get some positive responses…





I miss you!!









P.S. Thank you so much to those few who have kept in touch through e-mail and telephone!! It is amazing.



Song of the Post: A song by The Beatles, With a Little help from My Friends as sung by Joe Cocker.

My favorite lines:
“What would you do if I sang out of tune, Would you stand up and walk out on me? Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song, And I'll try not to sing out of key. Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends…”

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I know this feeling all too well. Going through the same with my family, thought not as bad. The only person who calls my *local* number back in Texas is my mom, like once a month or so. Not a single soul otherwise has even attempted. I'st heartbreaking, but hang in there, girl!

Gina said...

((((hugs)))

Siamapieceofcake said...

Sorry you feel so alone. Just keep trying and they may come through. Nobody understands how it feels till they have to move away. We moved away and it really sucks, especially during holidays and birthdays. New follower from the friday hop. hope you would stop by and follow back. http://tootsabellarose.blogspot.com/

Things Sent My Way said...

We've hopped across the country a bunch and I know how you feel, but on a much smaller scale. I remember though some of the people I thought fell out of touch with me were like we'd never left each other when we got back into contact. I'm hoping that for you.

I love your photos and hope they can bring you joy. I also hope the bloggers who are stopping in are making you happy too! I'm following from Totally Tuesday. Feel better!

Michelle @ Things Sent My Way

Anonymous said...

Awwwww! I'm sorry that you are feeling lonely! Jeff and I feel pretty lonely much of the time here in DC too. Your widget must've shown you that I do check your blog every 2 days or so, though. ;-) And we have IMed some fairly recently, although I often wish you were on more. Work does keep my crazy busy these days, but I miss you tons. Please email/IM/call soon!
Love,
Kristi

Natalie said...

I'm a new follower from the 3 Four and Under Blog Hop.

This was a great post and really sums up how lonely it can be to live abroad--I lived in London for a bit several years ago (i'm originally from South Carolina), and it often seemed like I was out of sight, out of mind. And a card or piece of mail from home would make my WEEK! :) My thoughts are with you, and I'll keep checking back on your adventures!

http://www.vereen-davis.blogspot.com

Cami said...

Hello darling dear1! Nice to "meet" you - I'm following back :)

I'm sorry to hear about your loneliness. I THINK, however, it is up to your family/friends to stay in touch with you as well. It's only fair. (I think.) I know they think about you often! -I know that doesn't help. But I hope your lovelies start contacting you more.

I didn't see an ABOUT ME...so, I have a question...why are you in South Africa? Job? Or traveler? I'd love details! I want to start traveling (but need to learn how to make money on the go..hehe!) so I'm very interested in your life!

Hugs!

<3-Cami from First Day of My Life Life

Anonymous said...

Following you back...thanks for the follow. I can kinda relate, only I moved 45 minutes from my family/friends...not to a different country. It's a shame that the people you need the most can't pick up the phone, reply to an email or comment on your blog. =( I have learned that those "friends" really weren't my friends anyway. I've lived here nearly three years and I have made two real friends, and one just moved states away cause her husband is military! =( Sometimes a girl just needs girlfriends! I blog to keep myself from going insane =)

I'll come back to visit soon...keep your chin up! HUGS!

Dawn
http://www.dawn-wemaynothaveitalltogether.blogspot.com

Sami said...

Sorry that you are feeling down. I know what´s like as I too now live about 20 hours flight from home and most friends (not family though) have given up on me, although I´m also the one who keeps on emailing, etc, etc. Before people took the trouble to write a few lines about their lives, nowadays with facebook, blogs,e-mail, most people can´t be bothered to write a personal message. I also sent invitations to my blog to dozens of friends and only 2 joined and none of the others comment either, so it´s sad. I try to keep busy and make new friends although not very easy as I always seem to be the outsider! The joys of living as an expat...