Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Old Biscuit Mill


On Saturdays , The Old Biscuit Mill, in Woodstock, Cape Town, has their “Neighbourgoods Market” from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. All the shops are open. The shops include some hip shops, vintage clothing, some retro furniture, and pottery. The market has food stalls and fresh produce, beer, and fro yo (frozen yogurt for those out of the loop). 

It is for is more well-to-do, slightly hipster crowd. You kinda have to dress up because it is somewhat of a fashionable crowd. 

We really enjoyed the experience, although the crowds were a little overwhelming for the hubby. We'd go back, but we fit in a little better at the Milnerton flea market. What does that say about us...?

 

Here are some images of my walk through the market area:

Mmm. Fresh butter and hunks of cheese. First thing you see when you walk in.

Fresh baked bread. They were selling it out of a small cargo trailer.

 
Mushrooms I had never seen before!


Fresh paella. These were huge pans!


Some of the first bagels we've seen here. Wonder how they taste.








Yummy looking treats.


Chocolate salami, anyone?


These were planters made out of old pitchers and strung from the ceiling. Never seen that.


Orchids. Tempting, but why buy something that I'll end up killing?


Orchid.



We had a great weekend- I hope you did too!  

 

Song of the Post: Put Your Records On by Corinne Bailey Rae as sung by Afro Blue. One of my good friends is in the group and it is currently participating in The Sing Off television show on NBC in the USA. If you like their sound, please consider watching the next show and/or voting for the group!


6 comments:

Sami said...

I love markets, fresh food and baked goodies. We went to a sustainability fiesta which was also interesting and inspiring.

Vanisha @ Vanisha's Life In...Australia said...

I love markets too. When I go to a new country I love heading out to the markets (and grocery stores) to learn about the local produce and products. This market looks like one I'd thoroughly enjoy!

Hot Pink Combat Boots said...

Hi Doll!

What a fabulous market. I love everything in your photos.

Currency question.... what is the currency there and how does it compare to the dollar??

Hope you're having a great week.

xoxo
Michelle

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun!
I would love if you link your Peanut butter fudge recipe on my party on October 1st! LOVE it and my readers will too!
Come follow me back!
Hugs
Isabelle
http://lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com/

Jennifer said...

Great photos! Such a neat way to capture a day at the market. And those treats do look delicious!

Peggy said...

Oh wow! I wish I was there. I love markets! I went to them all the time when I lived in Spain. You could to one each day of the week by going to different towns.
I love paella. I learned to make it. I have several of those big flat pans. Thanks of sharing.