Invictus is a movie that stars Morgan Freeman as Nelson Mandela, the famous South African president, and Matt Damon as Francois Pienaar, the Springbok's team captain. It takes place in South Africa for the 1995 Rugby World Cup. My husband saw it last August, but I just saw it a week ago. It is a good movie ( as many directed by Clint Eastwood are!).
Here are my observations (in no particular order) as a movie watcher (not critic) and new person to South Africa:
- From just a few months here, I could already tell that Morgan Freeman’s accent was not completely true. Many of the other actors did sound natural.
- The townships shown in the movie were ‘too clean.’
- I’ve heard that only the younger generation that watches rugby has started to cheer for the Springboks; the older generation sometimes still cheers for the other team.
- Matt Damon’s neck and legs are not nearly huge enough to be a rugby player’s.
- Many homes have maids, but not all speak English well because there are actually 7 national languages!
My favorite quote of the poem Invictus by William Earnest Henley:
“I am the master of my world, I am the captain of my fate.”
Have you seen the movie? What were your thoughts?
P.S.- I finally moved in completely. We slept at the new place last night- and I had a horrible night’s sleep. Let’s hope it gets better.
Song of the day: A Change is Gonna Come by Sam Cooke. This is one of the best songs....!
No video, but you can listen: