Monday, March 11, 2013

Week 38: Oh the Swelling!



This week, my swelling went to the next level. I have mild, self-diagnosed, pitting edema. If you Google images of it, just know that mine isn’t as bad as you see. But I don’t like it! It often occurs during pregnancy, and I don’t have any other negative signs of something more serious (like pre-eclampsia). It’s not painful and is worsened if I’m on my feet all day.



So I’ve been trying to take it more easy, but that means hubby is doing more for me and around the house; besides working hard at his own job. Today he defrosted our fridge and freezer and hung out the laundry. And he must make at least 5 ice cold water bottles for me a day.




The Bump and Baby Center say this about Week 38:

“Your baby has really plumped up. She weighs about 6.8 pounds and she's over 19 1/2 inches long (like a leek). She has a firm grasp, which you'll soon be able to test when you hold her hand for the first time! Her organs have matured and are ready for life outside the womb.

Pumpkin.
As long as a Leek.



Wondering what color your baby's eyes will be? You may not be able to tell right away. If she's born with brown eyes, they'll likely stay brown. If she's born with steel gray or dark blue eyes, they may stay gray or blue or turn green, hazel, or brown by the time she's 9 months old. That's because a child's irises (the colored part of the eye) may gain more pigment in the months after she's born, but they usually won't get "lighter" or more blue. (Green, hazel, and brown eyes have more pigment than gray or blue eyes.)”

Start of the baby cap I mentioned last week. Luckily I got it done before my carpal tunnel got worse.

Pregnancy Tracking Questions


How far along: 38 weeks.
Size of Baby: Weighs as much as a small pumpkin and is a long as a leek.
Sleep: I wake up every 2-3 hours. Practice?
Maternity clothes: Same old stuff.
Stretch marks: None.
Wedding Ring: Off. I thought I’d miss it, but I don’t even notice with my hands so swollen.
Things bought/given: We got a package from my friends back home, and got a few more little baby items (bows, sunglasses (so cute!), socks, washcloths). We bought some little hand-made stuffed animals. Our plan is to work together and make a mobile out of them. We also got some newborn hats for pictures after she’s born.
Best moments this week: Saturday, we had a really lovely day. We went to a local school fair, which was so cute, had lunch at Groote Constantia, went for a drive and saw part of the Atlantic ocean I hadn’t seen for a while, packed our hospital bags, and saw Zero Dark Thirty (our last movie before the baby comes).
Cute Giraffe.
Worst moments this week: Nothing too awful, just overemotional or irritable to little things. I also didn’t get to the gym this week- and might not do much more exercising besides walking until this baby is here!
 Movement: She’s dropped 3/5ths into my pelvis. On Thursday, at our Midwife appointment, she had flipped from my left side to my right side, which so was weird, because she has been in the same basic position since at least my 26th weeks. By the end of the day, she was back to the left side. 
Miss anything: My energy!
Cravings: Sweets are always nice.
Anything making you queasy or sick: Nope.
Annoyances: Having a weaker grip.
Belly button in or out: In.
New Aches and Pains: My carpal tunnel has gotten worse this week. Lots more tingling in my fingertips and palms, and a weird feeling in my forearms. And the pitting edema (see above).
Braxton Hicks: I think I’ve been feeling some, but more of a tightening on the top of my tummy occasionally. Nothing regular, but my abs did feel tired afterwards.
Looking forward to: Big changes. Our lives are going to be so much fuller now.
Worried about: Big changes. Our lives will never be the same.


Song of the Post: Landslide, as sung by Stevie Nicks and also The Dixie Chicks. I can’t make up my mind which version I like best. Thoughts?





2 comments:

A Life Un-Styled said...

I always look out for what's making you queasy and I'm glad it's "nothing" I bet you're so excited about meeting your little one - I am too! Not long to go now xoxox

Organized Chaos said...

I'm so sorry about the swelling! You're almost there! The last week or so was the best part for me because I couldn't contain my excitement! Please do let us know asap!! Enjoy!