Monday, March 4, 2013

Week 37: Hit a Wall of Tiredness.

Wow, this week, things changed. I have become extremely tired all the time. I’m only getting up twice to use the restroom, however, I have to rotate at least 5 times a night from side to side. I also wake up scratching mosquito bites at least once a night. 

The second thing is that I’ve developed a little bit of carpal tunnel in my right hand this week. It is fairly common for pregnancy swelling to occur in the wrists and compress the nerves in the hands. This means I have some weakness, numbness, and tingling at different times throughout the day.

Thirdly, the swelling in my hands have gotten worse. I gave up wearing my wedding ring this week because even the larger ring I’d moved to was getting tight. My knuckles are so swollen and painful- the pain slightly dissipates between 11 am – 7pm, but comes back really bad overnight. I wake up and I can’t make a fist. And if I force it, the middle finger of my right hand gets stuck in a closed position, while I can open the rest of my fingers normally. I have to pop it back out manually. Its really weird, but not painful. I've posted a video below to show you!


 

The Bump and Baby Center say this about Week 37:

At 37 weeks, your baby has reached full term. That means she’s developed her most crucial functions. Of course, she’ll get even healthier and stronger over the next few weeks, so don’t get too impatient. She likely measures around 18.9 to 20.9 inches and weighs about 6.2 to 9.2 pounds. She's gaining about 1/2 ounce each day. If you go into labor now, her lungs will likely be mature enough to fully adjust to life outside the womb.”

Winter melon.
Swiss Chard.
















“Your baby weighs 6 1/3 pounds and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (like a stalk of Swiss chard). Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children come out as blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz.”



Pregnancy Tracking Questions

How far along: 37 weeks.
Size of Baby: Weighs as much as a winter melon and is a long as a stalk of swiss chard.
Sleep: Bad. See above.
Maternity clothes: Some of my maternity shirts are starting to not fit- my belly can still be seen underneath. I’m back to earing the Bella Band sometimes to bridge the gap between shirt and pants. Who knew your belly could out-grow a maternity shirt?!
Stretch marks: None. Pre-stretched you know.
Wedding Ring: Off. See above.
Things bought/given: We bought a little baby bathtub and newborn insert for it, some Size One disposable diapers (we don’t have newborn cloth diapers). Bought a beautiful bunting to hang in the baby’s room (whenever she finally gets one) from the Design Indaba (I wrote about it last year, and will again soon).
Best moments this week: I still go to Belly Dance 2-3 times a week, as well and Antenatal Yoga 2 times a week (although that might change now). This week, I was feeling tired before Belly Dance class, and  I left feeling happy and more energized. I’m really going to miss it while I’m recovering.
Worst moments this week: Being more irritable and teary than normal.
Movement: I think she’s dropped some, but she is still in the same basic position, bum in the air on my left; feet kicking on the right side.
Miss anything: Motivation.
Cravings: Cold water never gets old.
Anything making you queasy or sick: Nope.
Annoyances: Hubby’s farts drive me crazy. He does it so often, and never realizes where he does them (right in front of the fan blowing in my direction?!). I bought him probiotic pills today- I hope they regulate his system a little!
Belly button in or out: In.
New Aches and Pains: See above.
Braxton Hicks: None yet. I think….
Looking forward to: Trying to crochet some cute newborn hats- if my swollen hands and carpel tunnel allow it!
Scared of: Not labor. I’m scared of what I’m going to do with her when we get home. Really worried.

Song of the Post: The Way You Do The Things You Do by The Temptations. I left our midwife appointment with this song in my head. I’m providing two versions of the song this week, the second is by UB40.




AND





4 comments:

Deidre said...

You still look amazing though! Crocheting a new born hat sounds like a lot of fun, i hope your hands will cooperate.

Organized Chaos said...

Shame dolla! you're almost done and at least it is cooling off a little bit!! hang in there and enjoy these last few weeks!! can't wait to welcome your bundle of joy into the world! try to get some rest and relax a little! don't let the nesting take over!

Eliza said...

Hang in there! I was really swollen too and was freaking out, but about a week after she was born it all disappeared. You're almost there!!

Unknown said...

Creating a new human being sounds like a lot of work :)


Damyanti
Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2013