Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Tale of a Snail.


The other day, I was weeding my little herb garden, and I noticed a huge nail eating my herbs! I immediately took him out and put him on one of our flagstone pavers. 

The little guy. FYI, I'm pretty sure the dark stuff is his poo.
 He looked pretty old because his shell was all worn and broken in some areas. He must have had a hard snail life.

Figuring out his new world out of the herb garden.
  
I grabbed my camera because he looked pretty cool. We had our little photo shoot, he slimed away into the grass, and I started playing ball with my dog, Reeses. 

Does he have eyes, or just antennae that sense his environment?
Well, um, lets just say I forgot where he was. I stepped on him, not with all of my weight, and I immediately pulled my foot off. 

Almost to safety, right? NOT.

I inspected him, and he looked intact. 

But I guess he wasn’t, because I found his shell in the same place two days later. 

Oh well. 

I try to appreciate nature, and look what I did! 


Anyone else done anything like that?


Song of the Post: Girl Next Door by Saving Jane.  The band is from Ohio and I was living there when the song was on the radio. A few years later, Taylor Swift’s song You Belong With Me had a very similar theme. Sometimes, Saving Jane would perform their song as a mash-up with Taylor Swift's because they were so similar.


On merit alone, ignoring that Taylor is now a mega star, which song do you like best for the "girl next door theme"?

  

And for fun, I stumbled on the hilarious video of Taylor Swift performing the song with a Japanese singing group. Funny and unexpected.


8 comments:

Sami said...

I get so many snails in my garden in winter, just after the rains! I so hate them, so I just grab them and throw them into the rubbish bin or if we have beer I put a dish with beer by the garden beds and they drown in it. It´s cruel I suppose but they are yukki to me!

A Daft Scots Lass said...

No, I've never murdered a snail!

A Life Un-Styled said...

Wow! Those pictures came out so clear! I'm sorry that the little guy didn't make it - maybe you'll find other interesting things whilst gardening :) (I've never found anything that exciting in my balcony garden!)

PS thanks for offering your hubby's skills with the stats, I think I'm doing okay for the moment. Plus one of my supervisors is a demographer!

Why Girls Are Weird said...

Wow really cool pictures. I don't really see many snails around here... plenty of nasty centipedes though, ugh.

Kristi said...

I remember when that Saving Jane song used to get played on the radio all of the time in OH. :-) I definitely prefer the Saving Jane song to the Taylor Swift one. Taylor Swift makes some great music, but this isn't one of my favorites from her.

Pradeepa said...

Poor chap! I haven't seen many live ones though I have seen plenty of empty shells.

A Life Un-Styled said...

hey lovely, I hope you post some stories again soon :) xoxox

Deidre said...

I see snails all over the sidewalk when I walk to yoga in the morning, and I always try to avoid stepping on them, but sometimes... :(