Monday, August 13, 2012

Charly’s Bakery: Cape Town.


Charly’s Bakery is a bright oasis in the downtown area of Cape Town. You turn the corner from the District Six Museum, and you see this oddly painted, garish looking building.  If you dared go inside, your senses would be inundated with color and scents of baking treats.

Charly's, with Table Mountain in the background.
 The décor is original- old tin ceilings, and the bookcases left from its former life as a Jewish bookstore during District Six’s heyday. The chandeliers are funky and unique.

This chandelier has cookie cutters and cupcakes on it.
This chandelier has little bride and grooms on it.
This chandelier has tea cups hanging on it.

The Chalk board explains their story a little and lists some of the small baked good you can buy there.


Some of the artists hard at work. See the old bookcases behind?


The bakery does make some savory foods, like these muffins and puff pastries filled with cheese or spinach.

Oh yum!

Savoury!
 
The bakery makes colorful cookies… They are good but I did expect the frosting to be a little softer than it was.

Mmm...cookies!

I heart you!

Sexy Ass?!
 
The stuff that makes them famous are the baked cupcakes and cakes- take a look, and you’ll understand why…

Petit Fours.

Mmm...cupcakes.

Whipped perfection...
Drool...
Two wedding cakes waiting for their finishing touches.


The place is pretty packed, so it’s hard to take everything in at one time. 

I seriously want to try everything they make. Seriously. 

Who’s with me?!

Due to the husband's presence, I only left with these three pretties (sigh)! That is a fresh daisy on top of the orange cupcake.


Here is a short video about the bakery if you're interested in learning more about Charly's. 



 Charly's had their own show for a while, Charly's Cake Angels, kind of like Cake Boss in the USA.

One final word: Yum. That's the way I like it.




Song of the post: Catch my Disease by Ben Lee. Fun song!



3 comments:

Sami said...

A very interesting shop no doubt, I love the chandeliers. Those cakes do look great, I would try them all too...

A Life Un-Styled said...

I have not seen more fun iced cookies than the ones you have pictured! I would definitely buy those over the cupcakes and I'm not even a cookie person!

A Daft Scots Lass said...

You're my Winner!!! Congratulations