Monday, May 21, 2012

Our Second Wedding Anniversary.

Today is our second wedding anniversary. We’ve been together more than eight years total, and I can’t believe how quickly time has passed. It does not feel like eight years. Look here for pictures from our wedding. Last year, we had been in South Africa for a few months, but we’ve now been here 15 months. I’m not much of a sappy writer, but I was reflecting on how our life in the last year has been so different from any of our past experiences.

We’ve always been each other’s best friend, but the last year has solidified it. We’ve learned (and are still learning) how to communicate better, how to accept each other’s quirks, how to support each other’s goals, how to present a united front to the world. Sometimes, it really does feel like “us against the world” and whether we make it all depends on our dedication to each other.

Us in April. Photo taken by a friend.

My grandmother e-mailed me this quote once, I keep it by my computer:  

No one falls in love by  choice, it is by CHANCE. 
No one stays in love by chance, it is by WORK. 
And no one falls out of love by chance, it is by CHOICE.
                                    - Author Unknown

Loving each other is a choice we make every day. A metaphor I’ve always applied to marriage is two horses with blinders on the sides of their eyes, pulling a cart down a path. Marriage is like that. We saddle ourselves with our burdens and our tools, choose not to get distracted by the periphery, and set a course for an agreed upon destination (does this make sense?). Working as a team to get through difficult parts and taking the load for one another at times.We are a united front, holding hands, loving.


We’re not perfect, but we’re perfect for each other. 



Song of the Post: The Promise by Tracy Chapman.  I played this song often during the three years we were in a long distance relationship.  It is a BEAUTIFUL song and truly one of my favorites. The film is a little blurry, but the sound quality is great.



8 comments:

Gina said...

Mazel tov!!!!

Sami said...

Congratulations on your 2nd anniversary. That quote your granny sent is truly beautiful, I have also saved it. I married at 20 and have now been married for almost 32 years. It takes work, dedication and patience and you have to be friends too.

Hayley said...

Congratulations! Awesome post!

Lissa @ her + him said...

aww congratulations to you!

Jenny said...

Congratulations on your 2 year anniversary! Stopping by from the Networking Blog Hop...I am your newest follower! I would love if you would check out my blog and if you like what you see please follow back :)
Modern Modest Beauty

A Life Un-Styled said...

Congratulations on two years! How beautiful. I wish you many many more years of happiness, love and learning. I'm listening to the song and it's just wonderful. Congratulations again to both of you <3

NGS said...

Congrats on your anniversary! I can't imagine the difficulties of living so far away from your comfort zone, but I'm sure your marriage is ever stronger for it!

Unknown said...

congratulations on your 2nd anniversary! May you stick with each ither, in love and sharing comfort and peace. My warm wedding anniversary wishes for both of you. Happy anniversary!