Thursday, August 18, 2011

Monthaversary Six: Starting to feel more settled.


Spring is coming soon… maybe the rainy days will go away. 


Just yesterday with the wind blowing through my hair, I smiled to myself, enjoying my life here in Cape Town. If only we had more money to really enjoy it! 

This month has seen us really settle into our new, tiny place, and figure out our new schedule/pattern. Living father away from the hubby’s job means that he cannot walk to and from it anymore. So we do a mixture of things: Sometimes I drop him off and pick him up on rainy/foggy days; sometimes he rides his bicycle back and forth. The final option is that I drop him off and he runs home!

Found this little guy outside our bedroom window.

School holidays are over, so the neighbor kid is at his boarding school Monday through Friday. We feel so much more relaxed without him popping out of nowhere to talk to us. I really don’t want to sound like a mean old ogre…!

We visited West Coast National Park a few weekends ago- it was flower season and so beautiful. I’ll post about it soon.

Furry little guy!

Now that we have opened up all of our boxes, I have baking pans! I’ve tried to make a few things, with varying degrees of success due to the oven here.  The potato and butternut squash casserole I made was still pretty runny, even after extending the baking time 30 minutes! The brownies I baked were too soft and I had to scoop them out of the pan. The oven is mostly fixed, so the lemon poppy seed muffins I made came out better with only 5 minutes overage. I really want to get into baking more. I’m a little wary of crusts and doughs with yeast. My other problemmo is that I don’t have a mixer, so that has limited some of my choices as well.


(source)


I’m participating in a beading workshop with Beloved Beadwork and am quite liking it. I have dabbled in the past with bead weaving, but I’m really into it now. I’ve made a few cabochons using some tiger eye faceted beads that I had. I’ll post pictures of my work soon, but here are some inspiration pieces for you to look at.


(source)
(source)



I’ve been thinking that I might stop the “monthaverary” posts. I’m ambivalent about it. I guess I like it but I don’t t know if I have enough things to talk about. Will “Highs and Lows” satisfy? 

What do you think?



Song of the Day: Catalyst by Anna Nalick.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Thanks for stopping by today!

The Zig Zag Market Bag pattern calls for worsted weight cotton yarn. The sample is knitted with Knit Picks Dishe in color Azure. I should have included that information on the pattern page!

The beadwork is beautiful -- what an interesting hobby! I should add it to my ever-growing list of things to try. : )

And, I love Anna Nalik! Thanks for posting the video.

Romanian Princess said...

I love your blog! Please follow me back at:
www.romanianprincess.com

XoXo Nicole Mariana

Hayley said...

Hello there! Thanks for the comment on my blog!

Loving your blog! Where in the US are you guys from? I am madly in love with the US, its my favourite country {outside of SA of course ;-)}

How long are you here for?

Naturally Me Creations said...

Oh I see now, so you're still quite new here! :)

I'm no expert with food (much less American types of food), but if you're looking for something or whatever, let me know and i'll see if i can help! :)